Wednesday, February 20, 2013

King's Cake

The other day, I kept seeing things about Mardi Gras and Kings cake and badly wanted to make one.  I figured any excuse to bake!  My kids wanted to help me bake this so I figured I'd try to keep it as easy as possible.



I know it's not the best picture.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture until it was almost gone.  Yes, that's how good this is! 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
[Kings Cake]:
2 cans of crescent rolls
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. raisins (soaked in water for 15 minutes and dried)
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. pecan halves or chips  (I put them into my Vitamix and they were chopped up pretty well)

[Icing]:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar (also known as confectioner's sugar)
4-5 T. milk (more if you like your frosting a little runnier)
1 t. vanilla
Different colored decorating sugar or food coloring.

Instructions:

1.  Mix the cream cheese, raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar and pecan halves or chips together in a food processer

2.  Unroll the crescent rolls and form them into a circle with the short end on the outside on a large cookie sheet or pizza sheet.  Press the seams of the crescent rolls that overlap together.

3.  Spread the cream cheese mixture in a ring in the middle of the crescent roll ring.

4.  Take the outside of the crescent roll ring, bring it towards the middle and press together. 

5.  Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool.

6.  Mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.  Spread over the cooled cake.  (If you used food coloring instead of decorating sugar then put the icing into different containers and add food coloring. 

7.  Sprinkle the different colored decorating sugar over the icing.  Enjoy! 

My kids ended up helping me with this and did not want to wait until the cake cooled so the icing turned out a little runnier than I would have liked.  Who can blame them for not wanting to wait though,  I have trouble waiting until a cake has cooled myself!

Enjoy!

Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of your messages gives me joy! Thanks for stopping by!