Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Mayo


I admit it.  I'm a lazy grocery shopper. I'm especially a lazy grocery shopper when I have my kids with me.  They are well behaved, but even the best behaved children have their limits.  My children's limits are usually reached around nap time or meal times.  When I went shopping for the ingredients for this recipe my husband was working on something in the backyard and my 2 1/2 year old was getting hungry.  My mission was to get in and out as fast as possible.  This was one of the reasons I did not have all the ingredients this recipe includes.  If I can't find it quickly then I'm sure I can grab something as a substitute that will be delicious. 

This recipe is perfect for summer when you don't want to heat up the house by turning on the oven or when you would like to do some grilling.  I've also included a vegetarian option as well.

Grilled Chicken with Spicy Mayo  (adapted from favorite family recipes)

Ingredients:
  
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • Chicken marinade (see below)
  • 8 slices thick-cut bacon
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 4 fresh kaiser rolls, lightly toasted
  • Spicy Mayonnaise (see below)

  •  
    Chicken Marinade:
  • 1 pkg Italian dressing
  • 1/2 c. olive oil

  •  
    Spicy Mayonnaise:
  • 1 c. mayonnaise
  • 1/4 t. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. hot sauce

  •  
    Instructions:
    1.  Pound chicken breasts until thin and place in ziploc bag.
    2.  Combine marinade ingredients and pour into ziploc bag with the chicken.  Allow to marinade for at least 1 hour.
    3.  Cook the bacon until nearly done.
    4.  Toast the kaiser rolls
    5.  Remove the chicken from the marinade (throw away the marinade) and grill the chicken until cooked through. 
    6.  As the chicken is grilling place the bacon on the grill.  Be careful to not burn it.
    7.  Just before you take the chicken off the grill put the provolone cheese on it.
    8.  Combine the spicy mayo ingredients and spread over toasted kaiser rolls.
    9. Add chicken and bacon to each roll.

    Vegetarian Option
     
    This recipe is so easy to make vegetarian.  I used a Quorn chicken cutlets and Morningstar Farms bacon in place of the chicken and bacon in this recipe.  I cooked it the same way as I did the non-vegetarian version.  It was wonderful!  I didn't miss the meat at all.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Each of your messages gives me joy! Thanks for stopping by!