Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Kopy Kat Krispy Kreme Donuts

 
I love donuts or is it doughnuts?  I have no idea.  My absolute favorite are cake donuts and all of the different donuts I'm seeing on pinterest have me seriously wanting to try about a dozen different recipes. 

Anyway, back to this recipe.  I remember the first time I tried Krispy Kreme Donuts.  My dad was at some meeting and my mom and I decided that we needed to try some Krispy Kreme donuts.  We had heard about them and how wonderful they were so we badly wanted to try them.  I absolutely loved their glazed donuts.  There's something about a warm donut that is wonderful and addicting.  One night I was watching an episode of Duck Dynasty and Jase was talking about how there was nothing so important going on that you couldn't wait 10 minutes for a hot donut.  I can totally relate!

These make a ton of donuts so you can cut the recipe in half or do like I did and create different donuts with the dough.  I made jelly donuts and chocolate covered cream filled ones. 


Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe (adapted from Nurse Loves Farmer)

Ingredients:
Donuts:
3 (1/4 oz.) packages yeast (I used Red Star Platinum yeast)
1/2 c. warm water
2 1/4 c. milk, scalded, then cooled
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening
7 1/2 c. all purpose flour
canola oil for frying

Glaze:
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
6 -9 tablespoons (90-135ml) evaporated milk (can substitute regular milk or water for milder flavor)

Instructions: 

Proof your yeast by adding it to the warm warm.  Mix it up and let the yeast mixture rest.  Scale the milk and let cool.  Combine yeast, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 3 c. flour.  Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.  Carefully, stir in remaining flour until smooth.  Cover and let rise until double  (about one hour)

After the dough has rise, turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.  Gently roll dough 1/2 in. thick with floured rolling pin.  Cut with floured donut cutter.  Separate donuts and holes, as they take different frying himes.  Cover and let rise until double, approximately 30 - 40 minutes.

It's time to make the glaze.  Melt the butter and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.  Add milk until you reach the desired consistency.

Heat your oil to 350F.  Place the donuts in the oil.  Cook on each side for about 1 minute.  Remove the donuts from the oil and place on a rack to drain.

Dip your donuts into the glaze and set them on a rack to dry. 
 
Enjoy!
Shayna






No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of your messages gives me joy! Thanks for stopping by!