Monday, April 15, 2013

Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Cake

 
When I was creating the menu for Easter I must have been majorly craving strawberries.  I think I had 3 different things on the menu that included strawberries.  The strawberry white chocolate pie was the other dessert we had for our Easter meal.  I couldn't decide which one to make so I made both!  My daughter loved when I was making this because she has just discovered her love of strawberries.  I kept hearing, "Mommy, can I have a strawberry, please?" the whole time I was making this.  I'm not sure if she likes the strawberries more or the fact that strawberries have a pink hue to them and pink just happens to be her favorite color.
 
The frosting on the cake is light and creamy.  It's my version of cool whip frosting.  I was actually going to buy the cool whip frosting to add to this cake, but of course I forgot to add it to my list.  This time my forgetfulness was a blessing because I loved this frosting.
 
Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Cake (adapted from Bird on a Cake)
 
Ingredients
 
For the Cake
1 box white cake mix
1 box (3 oz.) strawberry gelatin
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. oil
4 eggs
1/2 c. pureed strawberries (fresh or frozen)
 
For the Cheesecake
3 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese (room temperature)
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
2/3 c. pureed strawberries
2 T. granulated sugar
 
For the Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1/2 c. unsalted butter (softened)
1 t. vanilla extract
 5-6 c. confectioners' sugar
2 c. whipped cream
 
Instructions
 
For the Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the bottom and sides of two 9 in. round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and line with wax or parchment paper.
 
In a large bowl, mix the cake mix and gelatin.  On a medium speed, mix in the water and oil.  Beat in the eggs one at a time until blended.  Mix in the 2/3 c. pureed strawberries.  Pour into pans and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
 
For the Cheesecake
Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Boil approximately 4 cups of water. Mix the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla. Pour half of the cheesecake batter into the prepared springform pan. Mix 2 T. sugar with the pureed strawberries. Drop puree by spoonfuls on top of the batter. Drag a knife bath and forth through the batter to create a swirl effect with the puree. Pour the rest of the batter in the pan and smooth the top of the cheesecake.
 
Spray the bottom of a 9 in. springform pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper.   Wrap the bottom half of the springform pan in aluminum foil. Pour the cheesecake filling into the pan and place the pan into a roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the roasting pan. The water should come halfway up side of the springform pan. Bake until the center of the cheesecake is just set.  It should take approximately 45-50 minutes.  Remove from water and run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan to release the cheesecake.    Let the cheesecake cool completely. Remove outer ring of the springform pan, but leave the metal bottom. Cool completely in the pan, then chill in the refrigerator.
 
Frosting
Beat the butter until smooth.  Add in the cream cheese and beat until smooth.  Mix in the vanilla and whipped cream.  Gradually add in the powdered sugar. 
 
Assembly
 
 
Place one cake layer on a cake stand and frost it.
 
Place the cheesecake layer on top of the first cake layer and frost it.  (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of this.  I took a picture of my baby and forgot to take a picture of this.)
 
 
Frost the entire cake
 
The finished product!
 
Enjoy!
 
Shayna



No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of your messages gives me joy! Thanks for stopping by!