Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Harvest Chicken Salad

 

This chicken salad is actually inspired by 2 different chicken salads that received raved reviews.  I used to work in a town that had an AMAZING sandwich shop.  One of the sandwiches there was a chicken salad with cranberry sauce and raisins and all sorts of yummy ingredients.  It was topped with a thick, crusty, sourdough bread that just added to the yumminess of this salad.  I'm seriously getting hungry just thinking about this sandwich. 

The other chicken salad that this chicken salad is inspired by is one that was served at my in-laws over the holidays.  Everyone was discussing how good this chicken salad was and how it would be good in a sandwich.  Ever since then I have been thinking about how I could copy this and make my own delicious chicken salad. 

While I was creating this masterpiece of chicken salad, I was having trouble deciding whether to use onions or celery.  I then remembered an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Frank gets upset with Marie for leaving out the celery in the tuna or chicken salad.  He kept saying that you need the crunch.  That was it!  I knew I needed to incorporate celery into this chicken salad.  If you prefer onions in your chicken salad go ahead and use them or use both celery and onion.  I have tried it with celery and with onion and I love each way.

Summer Harvest Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
2/3 c. low-fat plain Greek yogurt                                   
1 c. mayonnaise                                                           
2-3 c. chopped, cooked chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 c. green grapes, quartered                                   
1 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. white raisins
1 c. pecans 
1 c. green apple, chopped                                  
1/2 c. chopped celery or onions 
 
Instructions
 
In a large mixing bowl, mix the grapes, dried cranberries, pecans, white raisins, celery, and chicken. In a small mixing bowl, mix the Greek yogurt, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Pour the mayonnaise mixture onto the fruit and chicken; still until coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Enjoy!
Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of your messages gives me joy! Thanks for stopping by!